In short, 2160p or 8.3 megapixels (yes, that is the resolution of a pre 2002 era camera)
Not supported by PS4
Will not support rendering, upscaling etc for gaming of:
- PS4 games
- PS3 games
- PS2 games
- PS1 games
- PSN games
Supported by PS4
- "video" (not specified which type, using what service nor examples of to be expected quality).
- "photo" (not specified which type, using what service nor examples of to be expected quality).
Supported already by PS3/ PSP/ PSVITA
By using the same extended definition of 4K resolution, it s already supported on PSP, PSVITA and PS3 for "photo", PS3 wiki: Talk:Eboot.PBP#Description article being officially described as using "ultra- high resolution (4K) digital data".
- Resolution used such 6400x3600,5760x3240...
- Just how useful is 2160p aka 4K? (recommended read, also Why ‘3D’ Will Fail… Again)
- Neumannfilms: Ghost Towns in 8K @ Youtube