Besides the normal "retail" bootmode there are several other modi the console can boot or halt in:
- With the PS3 power switch in the off position, turn power switch back on while holding down Eject button. This "fan test" mode allows you to clean out the dust inside the PS3. It works for Models CECHG and higher. (Note that a plugged in PS3 Slim does not have a power switch at all and is always in standby).
Other special modi
The following requires the power switch in the back to be on:
- Hold Power button down for 6 seconds (while PS3 is on): turns off PS3.
- Hold Eject button down for 6 seconds (while PS3 is on): force disc to eject.
- Hold Eject button down for 12 seconds (while PS3 is on): reset Blu-ray.
- Hold Power button down for two beeps (while PS3 is off): Reset video to lowest settings.
- Hold Power button down for three beeps (while PS3 is off): Enter PS3 diagnostic mode (repeat procedure twice)
- Hold PS button down on controller for 10 seconds: Turns off Sixaxis or Dualshock 3.
JIG / Factory Service Mode / manufacturer
- The PS3 can enter a special "Service Mode". When it does the bottom right hand corner of the screen has a red translucent rectangle with the words "Playstation 3. Factory/Service Mode" inside of the rectangle. When the PS3 is off, plugging a special "JIG" in the USB port (and then pressing Eject immediately after pressing the Power button), the PS3 is triggered into Service Mode when it boots up. This special mode then accepts firmware code loaded in from the USB port (PS3UPDAT.PUP), and allows reflashing the firmware chip, or running programs from a USB drive.
LED Diag Mode
I have found what I think is a diag mode that displays error codes using the power button light, kind of like what an OBD-1 ECU on a car would do. To activate it you have to do a fan test and wait until after the ps3 powers off(this much I am sure of) then you have to press eject and then power rapidly many times in succession also try holding eject and pressing power. Once you enter this mode the power light will flash yellow for about 1 second then the status of 4 component's(which ones I don't know) within the ps3 will be displayed by the power light blinking 4 times for each 4 component's. Then the yellow light blinks again letting you know the cycle has started again.
- On my bricked slim the first sequence of 4 is: green red green red.
- On my working slim the first sequence is: red red red red.
- On both consoles the next 3 sequence's, are all red.
So it seems that red=good and green=bad. Also I removed the Blu-ray drive on my bricked slim and the codes did not change. sorry I don't know more about this.
Anyone with a ylod console please post their symptoms and result of this test
Probably Green = 1, while red = 0. So you get 16 bits.
Blu-ray drive is not a core part of the system, it will boot without it just fine.
Cannot seem to get led diag to work on CECHA fats, don't know what FW version.