From PS4 Developer wiki
To install firmware via USB Mass Storage Devices (e.g. USB-stick with at least 1GB free), place the PS4UPDATE.PUP file in the following folder structure:
- The update location for Safe Mode is the same as from the normal user interface.
- The update location for disc media (CD, DVD, BD-ROM) is
- The update data for Development Kit and Testing Kit is
%SCE_ROOT_DIR%\ORBIS\System Update Files\PS4UPDATE-type-version.PUP(, )
- For updating with a single firmware PUP, Development Kit and Testing Kit use the same folder structure as Retail :
- Alternatively, updating with a single firmware PUP, Development Kit and Testing Kit can also use :
Problem solving / tips
- Don’t use any USB Mass Storage Device with enhanced functions as: encryption, fingerprintreader, U3, pincode etc.
- Don’t use USB Mass Storage Devices with a long initialisation time (e.g. some MP3 players)
- Don’t use multipartitioned USB Mass Storage Devices, only use 1 single primary FAT32 partition.
- Make sure they are formatted according to specifications with FAT32 (e.g. HP USB Format Tool – or TOKIWA / Ridgecrop FAT32 formatter)
- If the stick is formatted FAT32 and still not working, consider other stick or use this tool: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/restoring-your-usb-key-partition/
- Most USB Mass Storage Devices that’ll work effortless with PenDrive Linux, will also work with the PS4. Those USB Mass Storage Devices are most likely also the ones giving you the least problems under more exotic platforms like PSX/PSone, PS2/PStwo, PS3, Xbox/X360/Xbox-one, Gamecube/Wii/WiiU etc.
- Make sure no disc is inside the optical drive otherwise it will try to install that one instead of the one on USB Mass Storage Device!
- Make sure the media is not readonly (e.g. USB Stick with readonly tab)
- GUID Partition Table (GPT) is not supported, only MBR
- 2GB USB Mass Storage Device recommended
- BD-ROM works, CD-R tested with UDF 2.50 Filesystem and finalized the Disc works too. The Message from the Menu that this Disc isn't supported can be ignored. Copying the Update File from the CD-R was finished after approx. 3 Minutes.
- one single type e.g. DEHT, devkit-GEN1, devkit-GEN2, devkit-GEN3, TestKit, testkit-GEN2, testkit-GEN3 etc.
- version without dots, notated as
- There is some mention about exFAT support for USB Mass Storage Devices but apparently this does not apply to system updates. please report!