Things that Sony removed in the lifetime of the console
- early development tools had 256bit local memory and 16 ROPs for GPU, later RSX had only 128bit local memory and 8 ROPs.
- Tri GbLAN, first retail only had one GbLAN port.
- Dual HDMI. first retail only had one HDMI port.
- RSX as 550MHz with GDDR 700MHZ but retail release got RSX downclocked to 500 MHz and its GDDR downclocked to 650MHz.
- 4 front USB ports and 2 back USB ports, this was cut back to 4 and later to 2 USB ports (CECHG and later only have 2 ports) hackable
- Showed the boomerang controller, later to become the sixaxis which dropped vibration feedback
- PS3 presented not as gameconsole but a multi computer (later revoked by removing OtherOS)
- Folding At Home -> Life With PlayStation
- Sony announcing legal actions against parallel import
- libMPEG exploit patched
- MPEG4 Exploit patched
- OtherOS RSX access patched since 2.10
- Resistance: Fall of Man exploit
- DEX HDD swap trick patched
- Blu Ray Java homebrew
- SACD (removed CECHG and later)
- PS2 hardware compatibility (CECHC/E with software and CECHG and later without any PS2 compatibility) ( hackable softwaremode only)
- OtherOS (slim and superslim models with any version - as well as any ps3 model with FW > 3.15) ( hackable AsbestOS + OtherOS++)
- Memorycardreader (CECHG and later do not have a memorycardreader) hackable
- Downgrading (2.x added CoreOS hashes in Syscon, thus preventing downgrades) hackable
- Servicemode JIG/PS Downgrade/PSgrade/psfServiceMod (3.55 blocked it , revoked and changed since 3.60)
- PSjailbreak/PSgroove/PSfreedom/PL3 (3.42 and higher)
- metldr exploit (patched in newer hardware revisions with metldr.2 and hardcoded minver checks)