Main page outdate problems
Main page contents doesnt updates for non-loged users, this problem has been happening months/years ago and is very annoying. I think it started at the time euss reorganized the page and was one of the meassures made with the purpose of reducing the server load, i discussed this with him lot of time ago, also with roxanne later, but still there is no solution. If is not going to be posible to update the main page by users or admins please take a look at it implement some script or some meassure to update it periodically without human intervention. P.S. the problem is not in my browser or my PC i discussed this months ago with roxanne, it happens to all registered users when loged-off, and of course to all non registered users--Sandungas (talk) 14:29, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
Also, im an admin but i cant edit this page (the web browser returns an error)... im wondering if there is some kind of error in how the main page was made, or if is consequence of roxanne that likes to change the permissions of other admins--Sandungas (talk) 14:29, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hello Sandungas,
- I don't know for 100% why it isn't possible to edit the Main Page and to be honest I can't remember when we talked about this since this is the first time I saw this problem but ok, maybe I forgot it, sorry for that.
- On PS4 Wiki it works fine but the interesting thing on PS3 Wiki is when you want to create a new page or when you want to edit a existing page and paste the same code from the Main Page, then you will get the same HTTP 500 error as when editing the Main Page itself (you can try it by yourself if you want by removing the "<pre>"-Tags on this page).
- I will try to catch the Admin and if so, I will explain him this problematic.
- I can't edit the Main Page neither and I can't remember when I edited your User rights permissions but ok, I guess I should ignore your last sentence --> http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/index.php?title=Special%3AUserRights&user=Sandungas --- Roxanne (talk) 20:12, 16 May 2017 (GMT +2)
To be clear, the fact that the main page cant be edited is not really a problem because in the practise we dont need to do that, the real problem is the templates displayed in it are an old version when you "log out" (and for all non registered users). The weird thing is when you "log in" the templates are displayed correctly, we was talking about it because i reported it before (somewhere i dont remember, or maybe was when talking in irc), my trick to "force" the main page to update was to edit it (adding an space character or removing it) but it seems now i cant do it for some reason. My comment about you changing permissions was because that but sorry if that was not the cause i had in mind you was changing some permissions time ago--Sandungas (talk) 17:38, 17 May 2017 (UTC)
- I think the Main Page gets updated for both non-registered and logged-off users as well, but only slower :(
- This edited template is shown correctly even for non-registered and logged-off users but we can test this out with the following edit
- This one isn't displayed correctly for non-registered and logged-off users (yet) but maybe it will take some time. I will have an eye about this edit (and for the others as well)
- However, I explained to the Admin about all three problems and we will see what will happen - Roxanne (talk) 20:54, 17 May 2017 (GMT +2)
Awesome, against all pronostics the main page has been updated today finally, since the edit we was using to keep a record of the update frenquency of main page http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/index.php?title=Template:Reverse_engineering&diff=44110&oldid=43469 has been needed 24 days, if this is supposed to be an automated update system i have to say that is causing too much annoyances, personally i think the pages should be updated instantly, otherway users will not understand what is happening and we will continue this infinite loop of bug reports followed by a magically fix that nobody knows how was made, for me all this is still a mistery and im used to wiki so i can imagine the confusion this is causing to other wiki users and editors less experienced with this kind of problems--Sandungas (talk) 14:09, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
- Hello Sandungas, I was able to speak with the Admin about this problematic. As I said before, the Main Page is updating. I wasn't able to catch an eye for that every day as I promised but as you already recognized, it's getting updated very slow. Of course you are right and this situation is a completely "no go" for both new and registered users.
- For the exact details how the Admin explained me about this situation, I prefer we talk in IRC about that but keeping things short, this problem will probably stay forever as I understood and there will be no solution in the near future :( - actually the next time, it could take even more than 24 days for updating the Main Page :( :( :(
- I know this is a bad excuse, especially since this wasn't such problematic before but this is the reason why I created the Highlights page, which is viewable in the Landing Page (also viewable when a new user just enters http://psdevwiki.com
- I know for myself that this is also only a silly workaround but my goal with the Highlights template was, as the name suggests, to Highlight the newest edits on this wiki, so new users would even see such newest entries like the CFW2OFW Compatibility List and so on.
- I thought about to do this for every month but any other suggestions are welcome (first I planned to integrate newest entries like it works with the News template/page but I didn't had the time to do this so I created a quick solution). Also this Template is editable for all Admins and higher so if you have any suggestions, you are welcome and we can also talk about suggestions in IRC for example. - Roxanne (talk) 18:40, 08 June 2017 (GMT +2)
- We have a new unbeatable record, it really shocks me that nobody reported or complained about the fact that the PS4 main page has been broken for months ! (to non-logedin and non-registered users), one of the templates of PS4 main page was broken and i fixed it back at 12 july with this edit http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/index.php?title=Template:Linux&diff=prev&oldid=278302 i dont look at PS4 wiki dailly to know exactly when the main page was "updated" but i think it happened the past week, so has been needed to wait around 3 months for the PS4 main page to update. To be honest this problem desperates me, i dont even want to talk about it because makes me angry, specially when the other person tells me is me the only who have the problem, but i wanted to post this just to show how big is the problem we have --Sandungas (talk) 12:12, 11 October 2018 (UTC)
- Today the PS4 main page returned to the "broken" state of pre-july of this year (before i fixed it), funny (or disgusting) we are traveling back on time, and this increased the record, 4 months of delay and counting
Another recurrent problem that has been happening months/years ago is the style used in wiki tables, for lot of time we was using tables that had a header with a blueish color (and im not sure if other details i dont remember), but at some point the tables (of all pages) became much more simple, later the problem was fixed for some months, and some months later the problem returned, nowadays the problem exists since some months ago. I guess this is a consequence of the mediawiki software updates but is just speculation, if this is the reason please keep a note to remember is needed to "fix" the table style after an update --Sandungas (talk) 14:41, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
- For this problematic I can remember that we talked about this and I sent this problematic to the Admin but maybe he didn't found the time to look for that
- I will try to catch the Admin for this problematic too Roxanne (talk) 20:12, 16 May 2017 (GMT +2)
This was fixed after the talk we had when i reported the problem (and some months later the problem has returned back), but what i dont know if what you did to fix it (other than advising defyboy)... i mean im not sure if we can fix it eventually if it happens again or is something that can be fixed only by defyboy--Sandungas (talk) 17:38, 17 May 2017 (UTC)